Florence 2022 Florence, Italy MSMU Travels

Gelato Fun! Food Reviews in Florence

Buongiorno a tutti! (Good morning/afternoon, everyone!) I’m Kayla Jones, and I’m a sophomore double majoring in English and Communication and minoring in Creative Writing. I hope to become a book editor, but I’ll edit anything I can get! I love reading, writing, listening to music, and going for long drives. 

Ever since I was young, whenever I was asked where my dream place to visit would be, my answer has always been the same: anywhere in Italy. A year ago when I got the first email about studying abroad in Florence, I just knew I had to go. So, I sent the information to my parents and, though they were a little hesitant about me coming here without them, they were very excited and encouraged me to sign up. So I did and now . . . I’m currently typing this while sitting in my apartment in Florence, Italy! It’s truly a dream come true for me, and I could not be more excited to be living here for the next three months! It still hasn’t fully sunk in that I’m living here now, and I don’t think it will until I get on the plane to come home.

I expect to not only learn a lot about Italian life and culture but also about myself. It’s certainly going to be a huge difference from the life I’m used to living in the United States. Italy has different customs and traditions, different taboos, and such. But while it’s going to be a tough adjustment, I am extremely excited to be stepping outside my comfort zone and growing as a person while I explore Italy.

Our first week here has been so much fun! I love getting to meet the other students who are here with me and having the opportunity to learn more about Italian life and culture. One thing I’ve learned so far is Italians like to take their time, and it’s normal for them to spend two or three hours eating at a restaurant because they take the time to really enjoy being with their loved ones. 

My blog will be called “Gelato Giovedì,” meaning “Gelato Thursday.” Each week, I will go out and try a new flavor of gelato and write about it, along with what we’ve been doing during the week. Gelato is one of my favorite things in the entire world and quite possibly the one thing I was most excited about, so it only feels fitting that I write about it! I am so excited to talk about gelato and share the amazing things we’ll be doing during our stay in Italy. 

Ciao, grazie! (Goodbye, thank you!)