Dublin 2019 Dublin, Ireland MSMU Travels

#WhatstheCraic: Traveling through Art

Maidin mhaith or Good Morning to everyone reading this blog! I hope that you are ready to embark on a different style walk-through time than we’ve been doing on #WhatsTheCraic. Today we will be visiting The National Gallery of Ireland as the starting point of our adventure. The National Gallery of Ireland is home to a large collection of Irish and European art. It was established by William Dargan and was designed by Francis Fowke. It was in 1864 that the gallery was completed and opened. All of the work in the gallery is dated between the 14th to 20th century. The countries that are represented in this gallery are Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Switzerland, Dutch, Britain, America, and Irish. There is a huge sense of unity amongst all of these countries which is felt throughout each display and sculpture. Each of these countries is respectfully represented and highlighted in their own unique way.

As you walk from exhibit to exhibit, it is very easy to notice that religion played a large role in the art that’s displayed. This is interesting because historically there has been a division between denominations amongst the Irish. The fact that they still included art that depicted both Catholic and Protestant imagery revealed to me that despite their differences, in art there are no divides. The way that each period is displayed creates the illusion of going back in time and then bringing you back to the present. One of my favorite exhibits was the one depicting Irish people and culture.  Although I was unable to take pictures in this exhibit, the images displayed on the walls illuminated the interpretive and creative side of Irish culture. I felt as though I was seeing into a world that I hadn’t learned or seen anywhere else during my time in Ireland so far. Not only does this gallery allow many European artists, it also allows young children to have their art displayed. All of the children’s art displayed was made by Irish children. No matter the skill level, each age group is represented and praised which isn’t always seen in galleries.

There is no doubt that this gallery reflects the nature of Irish people. No matter what the race, denomination, or gender… to me it shows that all groups are respected.

Come along with me as we squint our eyes and interpret what the artist is trying to tell us through their work. If there is one thing that you don’t have to interpret, that is checking out my blog every Thursday. 

Make sure you follow @msmutravels for exclusive sneak peeks.