Florence 2020 Florence, Italy

Eating My Way Through Florence

As you may have read, due to the spread of the coronavirus in Italy, the Mount decided to suspend our program on February 28 and sent us home. I will write more about my experiencing leaving early in a separate blog post, but I will say now that in the moment we were all disappointed because we didn’t understand the severity of the situation back on February 28. Having come home and seeing how things are in Italy now, I think President Trainor and those involved made the right decision in sending us home.

Since my roommates and I knew we only had a couple more days left in Florence, we tried to eat at as many restaurants as we could before our parents bought our tickets to come home. Here are a couple of things I ate during my last days in Florence.

Gustapizza Firenze

Gustapizza is a small yet well-known pizzeria on the other side of the Arno river. It’s recommended by Florentines and tourists alike and certainly lives up to their slogan, L’arte della vera pizza napoletana or “the real art of Neapolitan pizza. Something to note is that they only accept cash; but if you forget there’s an ATM at the end of the block, past the restaurant. All pizzas range from €5- €8.

A pizza sitting on top of a plate of food

Description automatically generated
Gustapizza- tomato, mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, arugula, parmesan – €8
Margherita- tomato, mozzarella, basil, parmesan, extra virgin olive oil – €6

Gilli Café

Gilli Café is Florence’s oldest café and was established by a Swiss family in the Medici-era. It was moved to its current location in Piazza della Repubblica when it became the city’s central market square at the time. Today the café belongs to the Association of Historic Establishments in Italy. It holds both a restaurant and pastry shop, although we didn’t try the food there, their pastries were delicious. One case features smaller pastries such as their famous mini cookies, which are sold by the weight. Further into the café are the more decadent treats, like nut brittles and chocolate with fruit. These are a bit pricier and can be about €7 for a piece of nut brittle.

Ciro and Sons

When we found out we had to leave Florence we couldn’t leave without going back to our favorite restaurant. This was our last meal together before one of my roommates left to come home the following morning. Although I loved the chicken I had the last time, I decided to get something new. The truffle ravioli was shaped like little hearts and although it doesn’t look like much, it was very filling. Compared to other menu items, or other places I’ve recommended, this is on the pricey side however that is to be expected anywhere because it contains truffle. One of our last field trips before we left was a food tour around Florence and our guide mentioned to us that truffle is so expensive because it’s hard to grow and harvest; the best truffle can be as much as thousands of dollars per pound. They are harvested with the help of truffle dogs or pigs that have been trained to smell the truffle underground.

A bowl of food on a plate

Description automatically generated
Cheese ravioli with prestigious truffle- hearts of cheese and fine truffle €18

Be sure to read my upcoming post to see where else I ate during my last week in Florence. Ciao!