Florence 2020 Florence, Italy

My Best Memories of Florence

Ciao everyone!

Welcome back to my blog. Sadly, this will be my last post for the semester. I had such a great time writing this blog and being able to take you all along as I ate my way through Florence. Whether you go on the next study abroad trip or are planning to go with friends and family, I hope everyone’s posts help guide you.

This week I will be talking about some of my best memories in Florence. The first week we arrived we went on a walking tour with a guide and completed a scavenger hunt to get acclimated to our new home. It’s one of my favorite memories because it was our first time really exploring the city as well as getting to know each other. We went to famous tourist locations such as Ponte Vecchio, Piazza della Signoria, and of course the Duomo.

As part of our cultural activities, we did two different wine tastings. The first was more of a classroom setting where Chris,  a sommelier, came in and taught us the proper way to taste wine by looking at the intensity of the color, checking fragrances, and he even taught us about things that affect flavor such as the quality of grape. It was interesting because in movies we always see funny scenes of people saying they smell different spices in a wine but Chris actually taught us how to do the same things. The next time we saw him we went on a day trip to two different vineyards and we spent the day touring the wine cellars and tasting their different specialties.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I was able to visit Rome and Milan for a weekend. In Rome we visited the Spanish Steps, the Colosseum, and Trevi Fountain. When we were in Milan we were able to visit the Milan Duomo and explore what Milan nightlife has to offer.

One of our last field trips together as group was going to the opera. We all dressed up and we had the chance to see what I assume was one of their last performances before the COVID-19 outbreak. It was a beautiful story and we were able to test out of the Italian we had learned during the semester.

The month I spent in  Florence was well lived even though it was shorter than anticipated. I was able to live in a new city, visit a new continent, make new friends and memories, and experience a new culture. I said my goodbye earlier than intended, but it wasn’t goodbye forever; I will definitely be taking another trip to Florence. Thank you all for keeping up with everyone’s experiences this semester. I hope you were able to learn more about Cuenca and Florence through our eyes.

Ciao!