MSMU Travels Prague, Czech Republic PragueBlog 2018

#RunningThroughPrague

Welcome to Prague, or as the Czechs would say, Vítejte v Praze!

Join me every Tuesday for my weekly blogs as I embark on my morning runs throughout the beautiful city of Prague. My purpose of this blog is to capture and share the many amazing visuals throughout the city, while also sharing a few tidbits about each location I visit.

~ A few remarks about myself ~

My name is Shaadi Jahanbakhsh-Tehran (I know a mouthful). I am a senior at the Mount, and I major in International Business and double minor in Spanish and Sociology. While this is my first time in Prague, this is not my first time abroad. Fortunately, I have had the chance to study abroad last summer for a month in Spain. I have also visited several other countries throughout Europe. I love adventures, learning about distinct cultures, making new memories, and engaging in new experiences. I chose to base my blogs on morning runs, because it is an activity I find to be relaxing while also having the chance to explore the city alone.

My first running excursion was to Dancing House, which is a few blocks away from my apartment. This was a light and relaxing 10-minute run that also has a great view of the Vltava River.

Dancing House in Prague
Dancing House, sometimes referred to as Fred and Ginger, resembles a couple dancing.

~ A few fun facts ~

This building was constructed in 1996, and designed by two architects, Vlado Milunić and Frank Gehry. Some people call it Fred and Ginger, a nickname Gehry dubbed on the structure after the famed dancing duo Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, because it resembles a couple dancing. However, the nickname isn’t used much now, and Gehry himself was afraid that it would import too much “Hollywood kitsch” to the European city.

Dancing House includes an extensive art gallery inside, a restaurant, conference center, and a rooftop bar. This is one of the most significant sights in Prague, and it has a lot of meaning behind it. The building is a symbol of the democracy that formed in 1989, and was built after the request of the first Czech president, Václav Havel, to build a new center for cultural and social events. Another perk is that the Vltava River lays just in front of the building, which happens to be the longest river in the Czech Republic.

Vltava River at Night
Vltava River- A beautiful view of one of the many bridges across the river, with a view of the Prague Castle.

Make sure to come back and check out my #PragueJogs on Tuesdays. And be sure to follow the MSMU Travels Instagram account for posts from us there as well!