Dublin, Ireland MSMU Travels

#WhatstheCraic? #TrendingThursdays with Eden

Howya! My names is Eden Arouna and I am currently studying in Dublin, Ireland this semester. I am a junior at the Mount where I am pursuing a degree in Psychology. The reason I decided to study abroad this semester was to explore not just a new culture but a new way of life that was different from my everyday routine which consists of early mornings, a long class schedule, and late hours of studying.

Through this blog, I want to bring you along on the fun adventures taking place here in Ireland. You may have been curious about what my hashtag means: it is an expression used by the Irish people. The word craic can be used as a term for news, gossip, fun, or an enjoyable conversation.

As you join me during these next few weeks, I’ll be giving you a glimpse of the Irish food, music, and of course the people! I was fortunate enough to be given the opportunity to come to Dublin. Through my adventures, I would hope to shine some light on a new culture and possibly spark some interest in visiting.

We have been in Dublin for about two weeks, and the fun has just begun. On just our third day in Dublin, we were taken out of the industrial city and travelled back in time to Trim Castle, one of the oldest castles in Dublin. Mesmerized by the ruins and the structural integrity of the castle, Trim Castle is the largest Anglo-Norman castle in Ireland, built in 1172 shortly after the Anglo-Normans arrived. The castle was seen as an example of advanced military architecture during this period and was seen as a threat to many who raged war upon it.

After receiving our tour, it was time to get down and dirty…literally. As we shuffled back onto the bus we were driven to a local farm where we experienced bogging for the first time. Essentially, bogging is jumping into a bog; which looks like mud but is made of a different substance and having a field day with your friends.  Below are some photos of our adventure to the castle and bogging:

A picture of Trim Castle
A group photo of all Mount students after bogging

I would love for you to join me on my adventures through Dublin’s life and culture. I will be posting every Thursday! I will also be posting to the Mount’s Travel Instagram, @msmutravels. Follow the hashtag #WhatstheCraic or #TrendingThursdays to stay up-to-date on my journeys. Tootles!