Dublin, Ireland MSMU Travels

#FailteFridays with Mason

Hello, my name is Mason Lipford, and I am a senior studying Computer Science at the Mount. As I go into my final year at the Mount, I realized that the real world is quickly creeping up on me and that I won’t be able to travel after I graduate. My roommate, Sean Campbell, and I talked about doing a semester abroad in Dublin in our sophomore and junior year but then we just set everything into motion and signed up for the trip and the excursions. We packed everything into a suitcase and a backpack and flew off to Dublin for the semester. While I’m in Dublin, I’m hoping to get a better understanding of the Irish culture and heritage and travel to different cities in Ireland.

Now that I’ve settled into Dublin for the past couple weeks, I can assuredly say there is so much to do in Dublin alone. The people will happily stop, chat, and ask where you’re from, and after they’ll give you advice on their favorite restaurants and pubs (any pub in the city center is going to rob you for a pint). We just went to Galway this past weekend (September 6) and visited the Aran Island of Inishmore and finished the weekend off by hiking the Cliffs of Moher. With visiting all these cities and historical places, I decided to write my posts under the theme of #FailteFridays. Fáilte stands for welcome in Gaelic and is meant to help travelers like me judge what destinations to visit with a limited amount of time. My blog posts will be covering a different historical building or location and its historical background every week. I’m hoping to cover Dublin Castle, Temple Bar, St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Phoenix Park, Guinness Storehouse, Jameson Distillery, Belfast, and much more!

As an extra, I’m big into photography so I’m planning on taking pictures of all these places to give you some Irish immersion. When I can, I will also take drone footage, too. I hope you’re all as excited about exploring Ireland as I am. Let’s get to it!

Just when you thought you were going to get some sleep, the Dublin nightlife really glows up. All the shops close around 8 so that everyone can get to the pubs.
What a better way to end a weekend at Galway than to hike along the Cliffs of Moher. I wouldn’t recommend hiking the entire thing, considering it might take you a few weeks. Still an incredible day (before the rain came in that is).