Dublin 2019 Dublin, Ireland

Need to Get Something off Your Chest?

Hello everyone! Welcome back to #BrewsdayTuesday! Last week was Fall Break for Mount students, and my parents made the journey over to visit me. The three of us left Dublin and spent two nights in Belfast. From there we spent another two nights in Edinburgh, Scotland, and then took a train to London where we spent four nights. It was nice to explore more of Europe in such a short amount of time. While on break, I visited many pubs in all three cities; however, this edition of #BrewsdayTuesday is going to focus on a pub here in Dublin that I have been looking forward to visiting.

Just off the popular O’Connell Bridge sits the historic Confession Box. When we first arrived in Dublin back in August, we took a walking tour of the city, and our tour guide pointed out this pub. The history behind the pub is what appealed to me the most. The Confession Box is neighbor to St. Mary’s Pro Cathedral. During the War of Independence, Rebel volunteers were not allowed to go into the Cathedral. The priests from the Cathedral, however, were sympathetic to their cause, and promised to listen to the Rebel’s confession and give them the sacraments next door in the Confession Box. This plaque gives a more detailed history of the Confession Box:

The Confession Box has a lot of history in it, which is one of the main reasons I decided to visit this pub.

Inside the pub is very small, and it is mostly frequented by the locals. Most of the time when a customer walked in, the bartenders knew them by name and knew which pint to start pouring. While I was there, I was in the mood for a lighter beer, so I ordered a pint of Bulmers Irish Cider. Bulmers is quickly becoming one of go-to drinks here in Ireland. With its crisp apple taste, it reminds me of regular apple cider, and it is probably enjoyed best on a brisk Autumn afternoon. I was able to capture a picture that shows the lightness of the cider as well as how small the Confession Box is.

If you are looking for place that the locals like to go and want to experience a little bit of Irish history, or maybe ask for forgiveness for your sins, I strongly urge you to go the Confession Box. Located just next to the city-center, the Confession Box is a place to go to start a fun night in Dublin!

Thanks for reading and have a great #BrewsdayTuesday! Don’t forget to check out the Instagram page –@MSMUtravels and like the pictures on there! Cheers!

Just near the center of Dublin, the Confession Box is a bar worth checking out!