Florence 2022 Florence, Italy MSMU Travels

Revisiting Venice and Snowboarding in the Dolomites

This week was a very relaxing week for me. I took my first independent trip and took a train by myself, and I made it on time. I took the train to Venice and stayed there for four days and then I went to the Dolomites for three.

On the first day, I arrived late in the afternoon by train and took a tour of San Marco church. This church was covered in gold, and the gold was up high enough that it related to the heavenly, and where people could reach it was covered in marble to connect to the earthly. It was a beautiful church, but nothing beats St. Peter in Rome.

During my second trip to Venice, I visited many art museums and things I missed the first time. So my second day, I went to the Doge’s Palace. It’s the most famous building in Venice. It’s on the Piazza San Marco and was home of the Doge (ruler of Venice) and the seat of power for the Venetian Republic. I also walked on the famous Bridge of Sighs through Doge’s Palace.

The next day I went to Murano and Burano again, but this time I saw the glass making up close, and this glassmaker was famous in Venice for his chandelier making. However, chandelier making is a long process, so he made a cup and a horse. The horse was blue, and my family wanted to buy it immediately, but it needed to be cooled for two days since it had just come out of the kiln.

On the third day, I went to the Peggy Guggenheim Collection and the Gallery dell’Accademia. It’s funny that I went to both on the same day because the Peggy Museum was a modern art museum and the other one was from the old Renaissance period. I enjoyed Peggy’s collection the most because I saw my first Andy Warhol and Jackson Pollack painting. My favorite piece was Andy Warhol’s flower print because the colors were so vibrant and it was so aesthetically pleasing. It looked like the green was popping out. This collection includes works of Italian futurists and American modernists working in Cubism, Surrealism, and abstract expressionism. So the art was very mystical and supernatural.

Next, I headed to the Dolomites, and it was so scenic. It was a 3-hour drive from Venice, and it was right near the border of Austria so most of the words were in German. It was structurally different since most buildings were wood and had a Viking look. I stayed in a chalet where food was brought to me on the mountain with gourmet apple juice and fresh cheese and bread and yogurt. It was one of my favorite places I stayed because there was a jacuzzi with a beautiful view of the mountain, and there was a sauna and strobe lights in the bathroom. When I was in the Dolomites, I snowboarded, and it was amazing. There were not many people on the mountain, and it is one of my favorite places to snowboard since the slopes are wide and long with a fantastic view.

The only bad thing was I lost my friend’s earbuds on the slopes, so I bought her a new pair when I got back to Florence. All in all, I had a very calm week. Next week, I am going to Greece so check back for more of my adventures. Ciao!