MSMU Travels

Crossing Borders

Hello again Mounties! I hope everyone had a good fall break… I know I did (and I’m not trying to brag!) This break has definitely been one of the most adventurous and most memorable from these past 4 years I’ve spent at the Mount. Since we’re abroad this semester, I traveled with my boyfriend to Hungary and Greece and continued my jogs across both beautiful countries.

First Stop: Budapest, Hungary

I was captivated by the amazing architecture throughout the city, and the beautiful scenery alongside the Danube River.

While visiting Hungary, I was fortunate enough to stay at a friend’s apartment which was right in the city center. My location was one block from the Danube River and about four blocks from Parliament. I couldn’t resist the urge to run while on break so instead of a morning run, I opted for a nighttime jog. I ran to Parliament, and it was the most captivating view. Every night, the building lets go of a ton of pigeons that flock around the building all night until they call them back in again. It was so surprising to see the birds not flee!

Second Stop: Athens, Greece

This city by far has exceeded my expectations historically. It was incredible to be able to stand on the same ground so many philosophers stood many years ago. I felt like all the strenuous Philosophy classes I had to take as a part of the Mount’s core curriculum finally paid off. It was definitely a once in a life time experience to see the Acropolis, Parthenon, Olympian, and so much more.

During this trip, my travel buddy Jeremy (Kava Monday Dude) and I decided to run up a pretty steep hill to see the Philopappos Monument. The large monument was erected in commemoration of Prince Gaius Julius Antiochus Epiphanes Philopappos, from the Kingdom of Commagene. The run up was very lateral, but not too vigorous. But the beauty of going to the top of this hill was being able to see an amazing view of Athens and the Acropolis. I captured a few photos, but they did not give this view justice.

View of Acropolis
Philopappos Monument

This fall break was definitely one for the books, and I hope you enjoyed reading a little bit about my experience traveling and running as well.

Be happy, Be healthy, Keep running! Don’t forget to catch up on the rest of the posts this week!